List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Evaldas Imbrasas Date:May 25 2007 2:19am
Subject:Re: Integrity on large sites
View as plain text
You certainly have a right to disagree, but pretty much every
scalability talk at the MySQL conference a few weeks ago was focused
on data partitioning and sharding. And those talks very given by folks
working for some of the most popular (top 100) websites in the world.
It certainly looks like data partitioning is the way to go in the
MySQL world at this point, probably at least until production-ready
and feature-full MySQL Cluster is out. And even then large percentage
of dotcom companies would use data partitioning instead since it can
be implemented on commodity hardware.

Once again, we're talking *really* big websites using MySQL (not
Oracle or SQL Server or whatever) here. Most websites won't ever need
to partition their production databases, and different RDMS might have
different approaches for scalability.

On 5/24/07, Naz Gassiep <naz@stripped> wrote:
> Data partitioning? Sorry, I disagree that partitioning a table into more
> and more servers is the way to scale properly. Perhaps putting
> databases' tables onto different servers with different hardware
> designed to meat different usage patterns is a good idea, but data
> partitioning was a very short lived idea in the world of databases and
> I'm glad that as an idea it is dying in practice.

Evaldas Imbrasas
http://www.imbrasas.com
Thread
Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPeter Brawley24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPhilip Mather24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas24 May
    • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas25 May
        • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesBarry Newton25 May
              • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesJeremy Cole26 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies25 May
RE: Integrity on large sitesRhys Campbell25 May