List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Naz Gassiep Date:May 24 2007 4:51pm
Subject:Re: expanding hierarchies
View as plain text
Really? The ability to manipulate trees with single queries was what
made them so scalable in my mind. What is the better way to handle large
frequently updated trees? This is the best method I know, I'd love to
learn of a better one.
- Naz.

Peter Brawley wrote:
> Naz writes
>
> >The definitive answer to anything that
> >requires trees in SQL is nested sets.
>
> They are not definitive when the tree is large and must be updated
> frequently.
>
> PB
>
> -----
>
> Naz Gassiep wrote:
>> The definitive answer to anything that requires trees in SQL is nested
>> sets. I have written a tutorial on the subject, as this is about the
>> most asked question in DB relational data modeling.
>>
>> http://www.mrnaz.com/static/articles/trees_in_sql_tutorial/
>>
>> Enjoy :)
>>
>> - Naz.
>>
>> Peter Brawley wrote:
>>
>>> tbt

>>> That's a graph, which is recursive, so you need an sproc. See edge
>>> list sprocs at
>>> http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch20.html.
>>>
>>> PB
>>>
>>> -----

Thread
expanding hierarchiestbt24 May
  • Re: expanding hierarchiesPeter Brawley24 May
    • Re: expanding hierarchiesNaz Gassiep24 May