List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:May 24 2007 4:30pm
Subject:Re: Integrity on large sites
View as plain text
Naz,

 >"*Really* big sites don't ever have referential integrity. Or if the
few spots
 >they do (like with financial transactions) it's implemented on the
application
 >level (via, say, optimistic locking), never the database level."

Mebbe that view was common in the MySQL community in the time of version
3, when the emphasis was on one site managing one db. Agreed the concept
is scary. Try that quote in an Oracle or MSSQL community :-)

PB

-----

Naz Gassiep wrote:
> I'm working in a project at the moment that is using MySQL, and people keep making
> assertions like this one:
>
> "*Really* big sites don't ever have referential integrity. Or if the few spots they
> do (like with financial transactions) it's implemented on the application level (via, say,
> optimistic locking), never the database level."
>
> A large DB working with no RI would give me nightmares. Is it really true that large
> sites turn RI off to improve performance? Am I just being naive in thinking that everyone
> runs their DBs with RI in production?

Thread
Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPeter Brawley24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPhilip Mather24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas24 May
    • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas25 May
        • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesBarry Newton25 May
              • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesJeremy Cole26 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies25 May
RE: Integrity on large sitesRhys Campbell25 May