List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Naz Gassiep Date:May 24 2007 3:33pm
Subject:Integrity on large sites
View as plain text
I'm working in a project at the moment that is using MySQL, and people keep making
assertions like this one:

"*Really* big sites don't ever have referential integrity. Or if the few spots they do
(like with financial transactions) it's implemented on the application level (via, say,
optimistic locking), never the database level."

A large DB working with no RI would give me nightmares. Is it really true that large sites
turn RI off to improve performance? Am I just being naive in thinking that everyone runs
their DBs with RI in production?

Thread
Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPeter Brawley24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPhilip Mather24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas24 May
    • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas25 May
        • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesBarry Newton25 May
              • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesJeremy Cole26 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies25 May
RE: Integrity on large sitesRhys Campbell25 May