List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Bergen Date:May 21 2007 9:31pm
Subject:Re: speedup mysql restore
View as plain text
The best way to speed up restores is to not use mysqldump at all.
Instead take a snapshot of the filesystem with something like
mylvmbackup. Then restore is as fast as copying the files over.

Also mysqldump adds disable keys and disable unique checks to the
output by default when using the --opt flag.

-Eric

On 5/20/07, Ray Cauchi <stuff@tweek.com.au> wrote:
> Have you tried using the
>
>  > use db
>  > source /path/to/dumpfile.sql
>
> command via the mysql command line client?
>
> >At 08:28 AM 5/20/2007, Vitaliy Okulov wrote:
> >>Здравствуйте, mysql.
> >>
> >>How i can speedup restore of mysql DB from file created by mysqldump?
> >
> >MySQL is quite fast at reloading data, but if
> >you don't have enough memory or if
> >key_buffer_size is not set high enough, then it
> >can take days to re-index the data. You need to
> >stuff as much RAM as possible in your machine
> >and set key_buffer_size to at least 30% of your
> >machine RAM. I've had indexed take 2+ days to
> >rebuild and adding more RAM and tweaking
> >key_buffer_size allowed the same keys to be rebuilt in under an hour.
> >
> >Mike

Eric Bergen
eric.bergen@stripped
http://www.provenscaling.com
Thread
speedup mysql restoreVitaliy Okulov20 May
  • Re: speedup mysql restoreMogens Melander20 May
    • Re[2]: speedup mysql restoreVitaliy Okulov20 May
      • Re: speedup mysql restoreBaron Schwartz20 May
      • Re: Re[2]: speedup mysql restoreMogens Melander20 May
  • Re: speedup mysql restoremos21 May
Re: speedup mysql restoreRay Cauchi21 May
Re: speedup mysql restoreEric Bergen21 May