List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:May 20 2007 3:03am
Subject:Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'
View as plain text
Hi,

Miguel Cardenas wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I have a problem adding a user with host '%' ...
>
> *** If I add a user with host '%' when trying to connect get this error:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'myuser'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
>
> *** If I add the same user with localhost it connects and works fine...
>
> My specific doubt is:
>
> 1) do I need to add a same user with both '%' and 'localhost' to connect
> locally and from another location???, or...
>
> 2) for some reason a host '%' is not working or need to do something so it
> allows connections from any host?

Remember to quote the user and host carefully.  So,

GRANT ... TO 'user'@'%'

not

GRANT ... TO user@%

If you have doubts about what you actually granted, do this:

SHOW GRANTS FOR 'user'

And see what host it claims the permissions are for.  If you did it wrong, it
will say no such user exists.  If you do all this and everything looks okay,
write back to the list again and maybe we can help you more.

Oh, one more place to look is at the server configuration in /etc/my.cnf or
equivalent, to be sure networking is configured right.  You want to check the
bind-address and skip-networking settings.  You don't want skip-networking, and
you want bind-address set to the machine's IP address.  Now that I think of it,
this is more likely to be the problem for you.

Cheers
Baron
Thread
Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Miguel Cardenas20 May
  • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Baron Schwartz20 May
    • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Mathieu Bruneau20 May
      • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Baron Schwartz20 May
        • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Miguel Cardenas22 May
        • Selecting rows by DATE rangesMiguel Cardenas24 Jun
          • Re: Selecting rows by DATE rangesPintér Tibor24 Jun
          • Re: Selecting rows by DATE rangesMogens Melander25 Jun
            • Re: Selecting rows by DATE rangesJørn Dahl-Stamnes25 Jun
      • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Miguel Cardenas22 May
        • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Mogens Melander22 May
    • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Miguel Cardenas21 May
      • Re: Problem with GRANT ... 'user'@'%'Mogens Melander21 May