List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Date:May 15 2007 9:23am
Subject:Re: Data security - help required
View as plain text
Ratheesh K J wrote:
> Ok.. Will it be secure if the data is encrypted. mysqldump will show
> encrypted data right.

mysqldump will show whatever the database table does - it just grabs
that info and puts it into a file. If it's encrypted in the table,
that's what mysqldump will show.

> Actually I want to know what is the best practice for such applications.
> Can I say that encryption alone is sufficient to secure my data. Or is
> there any other strategy used for data protection?

You could create views for the queries you need, revoke access to the
base table and only grant access to the views instead.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/views.html

Whether that helps or not depends on what you're trying to protect, and
what you're trying to stop happening.

Thread
Data security - help requiredRatheesh K J15 May
  • Re: Data security - help requiredChris15 May
    • Re: Data security - help requiredMike van Hoof15 May
    • Re: Data security - help requiredMogens Melander15 May
  • Re: Data security - help requiredRatheesh K J15 May
    • Re: Data security - help requiredChris15 May
  • Re: Data security - help requiredBrent Baisley15 May
  • Re: Data security - help requiredDavid T. Ashley15 May