List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:May 14 2007 1:10am
Subject:Re: SELECT statement returning columns for a given table?
View as plain text
Hi Kelly,

Kelly Jones wrote:
> In PostgreSQL, the following SELECT statement will return all the
> columns for 'tabname':
>
> SELECT x.attname FROM pg_attribute x, pg_class y WHERE
> x.attrelid=y.oid AND relname='tabname';
>
> Does MySQL have anything similar?
>
> I know about "SHOW COLUMNS FROM tabname", but am looking for something
> more SQL-y, because I want to use the results as part of a larger SQL
> statement. For example, I want to find all the tables in a given db
> that don't have a column named 'timestamp'.
>
> I thought the 'mysql' system db may have this info, but it doesn't seem to.

If you are using MySQL 5 and above, the INFORMATION_SCHEMA database has what you
are looking for.  Otherwise, sorry, nothing :(

Baron
Thread
SELECT statement returning columns for a given table?Kelly Jones14 May
  • Re: SELECT statement returning columns for a given table?Baron Schwartz14 May
  • Re: SELECT statement returning columns for a given table?Peter Brawley14 May