List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:May 11 2007 4:24pm
Subject:Re: finding next and prev record in mysql
View as plain text
Mogens Melander wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 07:15, Richard Kurth wrote:
>> How would I find the next id and the prev id in sql statement like the one
>> below. The id number is not going to be in order so I can't do a < or >
>> limit 1 on the search
>>
>> SELECT id FROM contacts WHERE category = '5' AND subcategory = '1' AND
>> members_id= '8' ORDER BY lastname
>
> The PHP variant could look like (prev id):
>
> SELECT id FROM contacts
>   WHERE category = '5'
>     AND subcategory = '1'
>     AND members_id= '8'
>     AND lastname < $_POST['lastname']
>   ORDER BY lastname
>   LIMIT 1;

I forgot to say earlier: my article is about finding both next and previous records in
a single query.  I don't know if this is what you need or not but I assumed it was.

Baron
Thread
finding next and prev record in mysqlRichard Kurth11 May
  • Re: finding next and prev record in mysqlBrent Baisley11 May
    • RE: finding next and prev record in mysqlRichard Kurth11 May
  • Re: finding next and prev record in mysqlBaron Schwartz11 May
  • Re: finding next and prev record in mysqlMogens Melander11 May
    • Re: finding next and prev record in mysqlBaron Schwartz11 May
      • RE: finding next and prev record in mysqlRichard Kurth11 May
        • Re: finding next and prev record in mysqlBaron Schwartz12 May