List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:May 11 2007 3:41pm
Subject:Re: finding next and prev record in mysql
View as plain text
Hi,

Richard Kurth wrote:
> How would I find the next id and the prev id in sql statement like the one
> below. The id number is not going to be in order so I can't do a < or >
> limit 1 on the search
>
> SELECT id FROM contacts WHERE category = '5' AND subcategory = '1' AND
> members_id= '8' ORDER BY lastname

I wrote about some solutions that work for me, here:
http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/04/28/how-to-find-next-and-previous-records-in-sql/

I don't know if you need to do this without subqueries or not, but the methods I
explain work on MySQL 3.23.

I hope that helps.

--
Baron Schwartz
http://www.xaprb.com/
    • Re: finding next and prev record in mysqlBaron Schwartz11 May
      • RE: finding next and prev record in mysqlRichard Kurth11 May
        • Re: finding next and prev record in mysqlBaron Schwartz12 May