List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:May 4 2007 12:31pm
Subject:Re: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like
'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?
View as plain text
Hi Daevid,

Daevid Vincent wrote:
> I'm having trouble figuring out the logic/query I want.
> I know that all those "OR"s are not right.
> I'm doing this in PHP and mySQL (of course),
> so if it can't be done with a single query, I can split it up.
>
> Here's the challenge, given a text field search box, someone enters:
>
> 	Sony 20" TV
>
> How do I search for that, not knowing which fields are which?
> For example, they could have also entered:
>
> 	20" Sony TV

I think you're describing full-text indexing.  MySQL supports it but only on MyISAM
tables.  If you don't want to use MyISAM, full-text search engines like Lucene or
Sphinx may be worth looking at.

Baron
Thread
How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like 'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Daevid Vincent4 May
  • Re: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like 'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Mogens Melander4 May
  • Re: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Baron Schwartz4 May
    • RE: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like 'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Daevid Vincent4 May
      • Re: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Baron Schwartz4 May
      • Re: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like 'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Mayssam Sayyadian7 May
  • Re: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like 'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Iain Alexander10 May
    • RE: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like 'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'?Daevid Vincent10 May
  • RE: How do I find products when a user types freeform strings like 'Sony 20" TV' or '20" Sony TV'? [SOLVED]Daevid Vincent11 May