List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:May 3 2007 12:12pm
Subject:Re: Enforcing Data Format
View as plain text
> Is it possible to enforce data formatting in fields using something like
> a regular expression?
> varchar is great but does not stop someone putting in the wrong
> reference number.

Dates should be in a DATE column, not a varchar.

> I suspect the answer is no, you have to do it at a higher level. What
> aprroach would people suggest?
> Perhaps another table with two fields - field_name and field_regex?

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com
Thread
Enforcing Data FormatTim Milstead3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatBaron Schwartz3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMartijn Tonies3 May
    • RE: Enforcing Data FormatEdward Kay3 May
      • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMartijn Tonies3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMogens Melander3 May
    • Re: Enforcing Data FormatStephen Cook3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMartijn Tonies3 May
Re: Enforcing Data FormatB. Keith Murphy3 May