List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:May 3 2007 12:01pm
Subject:Re: Enforcing Data Format
View as plain text
Hi,

Tim Milstead wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to enforce data formatting in fields using something like
> a regular expression?
> varchar is great but does not stop someone putting in the wrong
> reference number.
> I suspect the answer is no, you have to do it at a higher level. What
> aprroach would people suggest?
> Perhaps another table with two fields - field_name and field_regex?

If you are using 5.x or greater, you can do some kinds of data validation with a trigger.

Baron
Thread
Enforcing Data FormatTim Milstead3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatBaron Schwartz3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMartijn Tonies3 May
    • RE: Enforcing Data FormatEdward Kay3 May
      • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMartijn Tonies3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMogens Melander3 May
    • Re: Enforcing Data FormatStephen Cook3 May
  • Re: Enforcing Data FormatMartijn Tonies3 May
Re: Enforcing Data FormatB. Keith Murphy3 May