List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:April 26 2007 1:52am
Subject:Re: FW: MySQL patches from Google
View as plain text
At 02:36 PM 4/25/2007, you wrote:
>On 4/25/07, Daevid Vincent <daevid@stripped> wrote:
>>
>>A co-worker sent this to me, thought I'd pass it along here. We do tons of
>>failover/replication and would be eager to see mySQL implment the Google
>>patches in the stock distribution. If anyone needs mission critical,
>>scaleable, and failover clusters, it's Google -- so I have every
>>confidence
>>their patches are solid and worthy of inclusion...
>

>This isn't surprising for Google.  They've done the same thing to Linux.
>
>I don't know much about Google's infrastructure these days, but several
>years ago they had a server farm of about 2,000 identical x86 Linux machines
>serving out search requests.  Each machine had a local hard disk containing
>the most recent copy of the search database.

So you're saying they had a MySQL database on the same machine as the
webserver? Or maybe 1 webserver machine and one MySQL machine?
I would have thought a single MySQL database could handle the requests from
25-50 webservers easily. Trying to  maintain 2000 copies of the same
database requires a lot of disk writes. I know Google today is rumored to
have over 100,000 web servers and it would be impossible to have that many
databases in sync at all times.

>Because of the volume of identical machines, reliability was critical, and
>Google had a certain flavor of the Linux kernel that they had tested and
>tuned.
>
>I wouldn't be surprised to see Google do the same thing with MySQL.  For use
>internally, they would make some tweaks.
>
>What are they using MySQL for?  Any massively parallel deployments?

I believe Google is using MySQL for GMail.

Mike
Thread
FW: MySQL patches from GoogleDaevid Vincent25 Apr
  • Re: FW: MySQL patches from GoogleDavid T. Ashley25 Apr
    • Re: FW: MySQL patches from Googlemos26 Apr
      • Re: FW: MySQL patches from GoogleDavid T. Ashley26 Apr
        • Re: FW: MySQL patches from Googlemos27 Apr
  • Re: FW: MySQL patches from GoogleMike OK26 Apr
    • Re: FW: MySQL patches from GoogleKevin Spencer26 Apr
      • Re: FW: MySQL patches from GoogleB. Keith Murphy27 Apr
        • RE: FW: MySQL patches from GoogleMugunthan SIFY27 Apr
  • Re: FW: MySQL patches from GoogleBrent Baisley27 Apr