List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:April 19 2007 2:07pm
Subject:Re: Trying to open a big sql script
View as plain text
It might be a little late for this advice but mysqldump has some
useful options for this kind of thing. When I use it to create full
snapshots, I use a script which generates a separate schema file per
table/view and keep the data in one or more per table for data.
naming conventions keep keep the files grouped.  the little known
--where option is handy for the later.

As for editors, I have used vi frequently in the past to edit
larger-than-RAM files but never anything that big.

On 4/19/07, Mogens Melander <mogens@stripped> wrote:

> On Thu, April 19, 2007 12:48, Duncan Hill wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 April 2007 11:43:34 molemenacer wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have backed up a database using mysqldump and have a .sql script that
> >> is
> >> over 2GB in size.  I am trying to open this file to view it and make
> >> some
> >> changes.  I have not been able to find a program that can open this
> >> file.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any suggestions as to a program that can do this?
> >
> > You need an editor that will only load the current view of the file into
> > memory.  I'm not sure that such a beast exists, other than stream editors
> > such as sed or perl.  Can the changes you need to make be done with stream
> > editing (simple changes like changing a word or two are very easy with
> > stream
> > editor)?
>
> Also, replace from your mysql-installation could be used,if
> you only need to replace "a-string" with "b-string" :)
>
> --
> Later
>
> Mogens Melander
> +45 40 85 71 38
> +66 870 133 224

> dangerous content by OpenProtect(http://www.openprotect.com), and is
> believed to be clean.

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.
Thread
Trying to open a big sql scriptmolemenacer19 Apr
  • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptDuncan Hill19 Apr
    • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptMogens Melander19 Apr
      • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptMichael Dykman19 Apr
  • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptDan Buettner19 Apr
    • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptmolemenacer19 Apr
      • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptDuncan Hill19 Apr
        • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptJoerg Bruehe20 Apr
          • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptGerald L. Clark20 Apr
      • Re: Trying to open a big sql scriptMogens Melander19 Apr
RE: Trying to open a big sql scriptAndreas Iwanowski20 Apr