List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:April 18 2007 1:36pm
Subject:Re: Problem on millions of records in one table?
View as plain text
It all depends on how complicated your data and searches are. I've got tables that add 2-3
million per day and I don't have
performance problems. Although we only retain at most 500 millions records, not a full
years worth.

That said, you can get horrible performance out of mysql with tables as small as 100,000
records if you don't structure your queries
correctly or use a good table structure. If I know the tables are going to grow quickly
and I don't need the entire dataset all the
time, I'll use merge tables. This makes it easy to remove "old" data easily from the
default table set.