List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:April 17 2007 2:13pm
Subject:Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engine
View as plain text

> Not necessarily. I do precisely this for a data base whose structure I do
> not control. I stuff
>
> |code1|code2|code3| ...
>
> Into an unused text field. The users can query on LIKE "%|code2|%. The key
> is to have a delimiter at the start and end of the entire list, so that
the
> string match doesn't get confused.
>
> Of course, this would probably be painfully slow. I can't say whether or
not
> it would be slower than the other alternatives.

It is slow, because it cannot use an index.

All in all, bad design IMO, cause you _know_ it's slow beforehand.

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineViSolve DB Team17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineMicah Stevens17 Apr
    • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
      • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineMicah Stevens17 Apr
    • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
    • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineStijn Verholen17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineMartijn Tonies17 Apr
  • RE: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineJerry Schwartz17 Apr