List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:April 17 2007 1:53pm
Subject:Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engine
View as plain text

> The "right" way to do this would be your second way, where there would be
> one row per answer. I can't really grasp how the questions and answers
> relate to anything else, so I'm making a lot of assumptions.
>
> If you are concerned that this technique is too slow, because it involves
> linking two tables, there is an ugly alternative. You could store all of
> your answers in a single text field, with some kind of delimited format:
>
> "q1=answer1,q2=answer2,q5=answer5"
>
> And then parse it in your program.

And eliminates the possibility to do any queries against your database
that make any sense whatsoever.

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com
Thread
Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineViSolve DB Team17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineMicah Stevens17 Apr
    • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
      • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineMicah Stevens17 Apr
    • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
    • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineFabian Köhler17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineStijn Verholen17 Apr
  • Re: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineMartijn Tonies17 Apr
  • RE: Max columns in a tabel in MyISAM storage engineJerry Schwartz17 Apr