List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chuck Swiger Date:April 13 2007 9:46pm
Subject:Re: Mysql Hogging all system resources
View as plain text
On Apr 13, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Don O'Neil wrote:
> Is there a way to set a 'nice' priority for a particular user?

Why, yes-- see /etc/login.conf and the priority keyword.
Some shells also let you adjust the priority levels for various users.

> Also, when I run this:
>
> nice -n 5 /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -m 5
>
> I get:
>
> nice: Badly formed number.
>
> I ran a man page on it, and this is the right format, but its not
> working.

Many shells offer nice as a built-in keyword, with syntax that may
vary slightly from what /usr/bin/nice uses.  Either try "/usr/bin/
nice -n 5 _command_", or use "nice 5 _command_" under csh/tcsh.  sh/
ksh/zsh ought to understand the -n flag and be more similar to the
external command under /usr/bin.

--
-Chuck

Thread
Mysql Hogging all system resourcesDon O'Neil12 Apr
  • Re: Mysql Hogging all system resourcesChuck Swiger13 Apr
    • RE: Mysql Hogging all system resourcesDon O'Neil13 Apr
      • RE: Mysql Hogging all system resourcesDon O'Neil13 Apr
        • Re: Mysql Hogging all system resourcesDan Nelson13 Apr
          • RE: Mysql Hogging all system resourcesDon O'Neil14 Apr
      • Re: Mysql Hogging all system resourcesChuck Swiger13 Apr
        • RE: Mysql Hogging all system resourcesAndrey Dmitriev13 Apr