List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carlos Proal Date:April 13 2007 6:33am
Subject:Re: Is it possible to either update or insert in a single query?
View as plain text
Have you look at replace ?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replace.html

Carlos

Douglas Pearson wrote:
> Apologies if this is a dumb question, but is it possible to write a single
> query that either updates certain columns in a row, or adds an entirely new
> row if there is none already?
>
> I seem to be running into this a lot, and so far I've solved it by:
> 1) run UPDATE table SET x,y WHERE some row
> 2) if rowsChanged == 0 then run the INSERT
>
> It just feels like there must be a way to do this more efficiently.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

Thread
Is it possible to either update or insert in a single query?Douglas Pearson13 Apr
  • Re: Is it possible to either update or insert in a single query?Carlos Proal13 Apr
  • Re: Is it possible to either update or insert in a single query?Mogens Melander13 Apr
    • RE: Is it possible to either update or insert in a single query?Douglas Pearson13 Apr
  • RE: Is it possible to either update or insert in a single query?Randall Price13 Apr
Re: Is it possible to either update or insert in a single query?Martijn Tonies13 Apr