List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:April 6 2007 1:38pm
Subject:RE: question about "Queries per second avg"
View as plain text
It says nothing about how long it takes to process a query (service time);
it tells you on average how often queries come in (arrival rate). If the
service time is such that an arriving query is finished before the next one
arrives, you aren't in terrible shape as far as the queue of waiting queries
goes. If queries arrive while the previous query is still being served, then
all is lost because the queue will grow to infinity.

That's a very simplistic overview, there's an entire branch of statistics
devoted to this sort of thing.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated