List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Tu Date:April 4 2007 6:05pm
Subject:Re: Finding a record in a result set
View as plain text
That is a nice idea, I'll have to keep it in my bag of tricks.
However, I don't know if it will work b/c there are probably others
that are hired on the same date...

On Apr 4, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Dan Buettner wrote:

> James, one option would be to run a query to find the number of
> people in
> the list ahead of him, rather than determining position within the
> result
> set.
>
> As in:
>
> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM some_table
> WHERE state = "Maine"
> AND hire_date < (SELECT hire_date FROM some_table
> WHERE last_name = "Smith"
> AND first_name = "Joe"
> AND state = "Maine")
>
> Dan

>> > by hiring

Thread
Finding a record in a result setJames Tu22 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setPeter Brawley22 Mar
    • Re: Finding a record in a result setRolando Edwards22 Mar
    • RE: Finding a record in a result setJerry Schwartz22 Mar
      • Re: Finding a record in a result setFrancesco Riosa23 Mar
      • SPAM ?Jacques Brignon24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?LP24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Martijn Tonies24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Stephen Cook25 Mar
          • RE : SPAM ?Jacques Brignon25 Mar
            • RE : RE : SPAM ? SOLVEDJacques Brignon25 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Banyan He25 Mar
          • RE : SPAM ?Jacques Brignon25 Mar
            • Re: SPAM ?Banyan He25 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setRolando Edwards22 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setMaciej Dobrzanski24 Mar
    • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu26 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu26 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu4 Apr
    • RE: Finding a record in a result setJerry Schwartz4 Apr
      • Re: Finding a record in a result setDan Buettner4 Apr