List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Buettner Date:April 4 2007 5:51pm
Subject:Re: Finding a record in a result set
View as plain text
James, one option would be to run a query to find the number of people in
the list ahead of him, rather than determining position within the result
set.

As in:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM some_table
WHERE state = "Maine"
AND hire_date < (SELECT hire_date FROM some_table
WHERE last_name = "Smith"
AND first_name = "Joe"
AND state = "Maine")

Dan

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 11:21 AM, James Tu wrote:
> >
> > > Is there some quick way to do the following in MySQL?  (I know I
> > > can use PHP to search through the result set, but I wanted to see
> > > if there's a quick way using some sort of query)
> > >
> > > Let's say I know that Joe is from Maine.
> > > I want to do a query of all employees from Maine, ordered
> > by hiring
> > > date, and figure out where Joe falls in that list. (i.e. which
> > > record number is he?)
> > >
> > > -James

Thread
Finding a record in a result setJames Tu22 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setPeter Brawley22 Mar
    • Re: Finding a record in a result setRolando Edwards22 Mar
    • RE: Finding a record in a result setJerry Schwartz22 Mar
      • Re: Finding a record in a result setFrancesco Riosa23 Mar
      • SPAM ?Jacques Brignon24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?LP24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Martijn Tonies24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Stephen Cook25 Mar
          • RE : SPAM ?Jacques Brignon25 Mar
            • RE : RE : SPAM ? SOLVEDJacques Brignon25 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Banyan He25 Mar
          • RE : SPAM ?Jacques Brignon25 Mar
            • Re: SPAM ?Banyan He25 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setRolando Edwards22 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setMaciej Dobrzanski24 Mar
    • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu26 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu26 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu4 Apr
    • RE: Finding a record in a result setJerry Schwartz4 Apr
      • Re: Finding a record in a result setDan Buettner4 Apr