List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Tu Date:April 4 2007 5:05pm
Subject:Re: Finding a record in a result set
View as plain text
Right now I'm trying to use PHP to do a binary search on the result
set so I don't have to traverse the entire result set.

I'm using PHP's mysql_data_seek() to move the pointer within the
result set and looking at the data.

What do people think of this approach?

-James

On Mar 22, 2007, at 11:21 AM, James Tu wrote:

> Is there some quick way to do the following in MySQL?  (I know I
> can use PHP to search through the result set, but I wanted to see
> if there's a quick way using some sort of query)
>
> Let's say I know that Joe is from Maine.
> I want to do a query of all employees from Maine, ordered by hiring
> date, and figure out where Joe falls in that list. (i.e. which
> record number is he?)
>
> -James

Finding a record in a result setJames Tu22 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setPeter Brawley22 Mar
    • Re: Finding a record in a result setRolando Edwards22 Mar
    • RE: Finding a record in a result setJerry Schwartz22 Mar
      • Re: Finding a record in a result setFrancesco Riosa23 Mar
      • SPAM ?Jacques Brignon24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?LP24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Martijn Tonies24 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Stephen Cook25 Mar
          • RE : SPAM ?Jacques Brignon25 Mar
            • RE : RE : SPAM ? SOLVEDJacques Brignon25 Mar
        • Re: SPAM ?Banyan He25 Mar
          • RE : SPAM ?Jacques Brignon25 Mar
            • Re: SPAM ?Banyan He25 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setRolando Edwards22 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setMaciej Dobrzanski24 Mar
    • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu26 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu26 Mar
  • Re: Finding a record in a result setJames Tu4 Apr
    • RE: Finding a record in a result setJerry Schwartz4 Apr
      • Re: Finding a record in a result setDan Buettner4 Apr