List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nico Sabbi Date:April 4 2007 9:51am
Subject:converting TEXT fields between charsets doesn't work
View as plain text
Hi,
I followed the instructions to change columns values from an encoding
another
(in my case from latin1 to utf8), but the operation simply failed.

The manual reads
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/alter-table.html  :
"
If you want to change the table default character set and all character
columns (|CHAR|, |VARCHAR|, |TEXT|) to a new character set, use a
statement like this:

ALTER TABLE /|tbl_name|/ CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET /|charset_name|/;

*Warning:* The preceding operation converts column values between the
character sets.
"

fact is that the columns values are completely unaffected.
If in konsole with encoding set to latin1 I select one particular TEXT
field from the table
before the conversion I can see correct accented letters; after the
conversion
to utf8 (but with the konsole encoding still set to latin1) the select
of the same field
still shows correct accented letters, that would have been impossible if
the encoding conversion
had actually been done.

Changing the table handler from Innodb to Myisam didn't help.
The version of Mysql I'm using is 5.0.27-max.

Am I doing something wrong?

 Sponsor:
 Refill s.r.l. - Il risparmio è fai da te! Inchiostri, cartucce, toner, carta
speciale: ogni ricarica per la tua stampante ti costa solo 1 EURO!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=5193&d=4-4
Thread
converting TEXT fields between charsets doesn't workNico Sabbi4 Apr