List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Micah Stevens Date:April 1 2007 11:33pm
Subject:Re: CVS-Like System For Database Changes
View as plain text
On 04/01/2007 03:28 PM, Anoop kumar V wrote:
> Sql create statements need to be run using a compatible client.
> sqlplus for
> oracle, mysqlclient for mysql etc.. Here you just have a target as
> part of
> your routine build that also takes care of building / renewing your
> database
> with (or w/o) data.

This wouldn't change anyhow, you'd still need a client during the build
process. You're just automating the control of the client, which IMHO is
only a good thing in certain circumstances. I agree it can be useful,
but not in all cases.
> Plus a layer of abstraction such as a ant for everything development
> related
> allows you to integrate into system integration tools like cruise
> control /
> continuum etc.. So you automate most of the stuff: building your
> database,
> testing against code etc... The investment is marginal and only during
> the
> setup of these tools, but the gains are phenomenal. (just like the
> benefits
> realized with setting up cvs and all)
> http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html
> http://www.zorched.net/2006/08/19/relentless-build-automation/ (scroll
> down
> to the database part)

I'll take a look at these articles, thank you.

> Not to digress - but  I would advise (strongly) the author to consider
> svn
> instead of cvs (svn: subversion is the new cvs built fresh from bottom
> keeping in mind the deficiencies of cvs)
> http://subversion.tigris.org/

Agreed, my experience with Subversion has been a pleasurable one.

-Micah
Thread
CVS-Like System For Database ChangesTim Gustafson30 Mar
  • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMichael Dykman30 Mar
    • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMiles Thompson1 Apr
      • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMicah Stevens1 Apr
        • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesAnoop kumar V1 Apr
          • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMicah Stevens1 Apr
            • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesAnoop kumar V2 Apr
              • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMicah Stevens2 Apr