List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Gustafson Date:March 30 2007 9:27pm
Subject:CVS-Like System For Database Changes
View as plain text
Hello!

I'm just getting in to using CVS to track changes to my source code for PHP
projects that I'm working on, and it's exactly what my organization needed.

However, there does not appear to be a way to track changes to mySQL
databases in the same way.  Basically, as the structure of tables are
changed to meet the requirements of new features, I'd like a way to be able
to record those changes (both structural table changes and also "default
table data" such as table of states or zip codes or whatever) in a CVS-type
system (preferably integrated with CVS directly) so that when a customer
uses CVS to get the newest version of the code for their project, they can
also get (and automatically apply) all changes to their database for the new
version.

Does such a system exist?  How do other people cope with these types of
updates?

Thanks for any guidance!

Tim Gustafson
(831) 425-4522 x 100
(831) 621-6299 Fax

Thread
CVS-Like System For Database ChangesTim Gustafson30 Mar
  • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMichael Dykman30 Mar
    • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMiles Thompson1 Apr
      • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMicah Stevens1 Apr
        • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesAnoop kumar V1 Apr
          • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMicah Stevens1 Apr
            • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesAnoop kumar V2 Apr
              • Re: CVS-Like System For Database ChangesMicah Stevens2 Apr