List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wm Mussatto Date:March 26 2007 11:35pm
Subject:RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?
View as plain text
On Mon, March 26, 2007 16:21, Daevid Vincent said:
>> You're about 5 years too late for this converation, but I recall it
>
> Really? People have just happily accepted this absurd limitation for
> _five_
> years? Wow.
>
>> having to do with the fact that when you're on a table that supports
>> transactions, you don't know exactly how many records a particular
>> session has available to it unless you actually go and count them.
>> Depending on your settings, you may or may not see rows inserted by
>> other uncommitted sessions, and they may disappear if the other
>> sessions roll their transactions back.
>
> You know how many are *IN* the table on the disk at that particular
> moment.
Why would they be on the disk. Until the transaction is committed and the
caches are flushed the info. is really in memory I thought.
> That's all that needs to be shown!?
> So if someone isn't using transactions, then that number will be accurate.
> This isn't rocket science.
>
>> You should probably be filing bug reports or calling your support
>
> Oh. I will. ;-)
>
>> Let us know if you find another database product that supports instant
>> count(*)'s on transactioned tables.
>
> I don't care what other RDMS are or are not doing.
> I care what the one I'm paying for is not doing.

If you want to bypass the uncertainties built into transaction tables and
get a count that is 'accurate', how about locking the tables then issuing
the count request.  I realize this sort of defeats the purpose of
transaction tables but ...

Thread
Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent26 Mar
  • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Dan Nelson27 Mar
    • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent27 Mar
      • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Dan Nelson27 Mar
        • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent27 Mar
          • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Wm Mussatto27 Mar
          • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Jeremy Cole27 Mar
      • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daniel Kasak27 Mar
        • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent27 Mar
        • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Maciej Dobrzanski27 Mar
          • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Tim Lucia27 Mar
            • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Jochem van Dieten27 Mar