List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daevid Vincent Date:March 26 2007 11:16pm
Subject:RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?
View as plain text
> > Is mySQL planning on fixing this BUG. YES -- it is a BUG. A
> BIG FAT HARRY
> > ONE.
> >

> I think you mean 'hairy', not 'harry'. There are no 'harry'
> bugs, apart

LOL! Doh! Yeah. I was so blinded by rage that I forgot my spelling.

> > It's completely stupid that I can't query and get an
> accurate total of
> > records in a table in under a second.
> >

> If it's so important to you, why not maintain your OWN count.
> Cache the
> figure somewhere, or update a figure when you insert a record.

Because we're a huge enterprise product, with 3 databases of > 200 tables
each.

We are migrating from MYISM to INNODB and keeping track of that value isn't
something we thought we'd need to do. Plus it seems like something we
_shouldn't_ have to do. That's WHY we use a database.

> > A deviation of 40-50% is SIGNIFICANT!
> > You might as well just use RAND() at that point.
>
> Fine. Use rand() if it makes you happy.

Sarcasm. Cool. :)

> > This is absolutely baffling and astonishing how a company
> so seemingly smart
> > could make such an incredible blunder.  :-\
> >

> Oh the melodrama! Won't someone please think of the children!

...and the homeless
...and Katrina victims
...and Tsunami in India victims

;-p

Thread
Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent26 Mar
  • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Dan Nelson27 Mar
    • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent27 Mar
      • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Dan Nelson27 Mar
        • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent27 Mar
          • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Wm Mussatto27 Mar
          • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Jeremy Cole27 Mar
      • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daniel Kasak27 Mar
        • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Daevid Vincent27 Mar
        • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Maciej Dobrzanski27 Mar
          • RE: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Tim Lucia27 Mar
            • Re: Why doesn't the InnoDB count() match table status?Jochem van Dieten27 Mar