List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mailing Lists Date:March 19 2007 1:55am
Subject:Re: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?
View as plain text
On Mar 15, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Daevid Vincent wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a real, quality, professional level mySQL GUI for
> Linux?
> KDE, Gnome, whatever. Doesn't matter. Beggars can't be choosers right.
>
> Something along the lines of SQLYog (Enterprise ideally).
>
> I'm kind of disappointed that I can't seem to find anything.
> They're all
> either some Admin tool designed to setup users and all that stuff.
> Yawn. Or
> they're so limited, I might as well just use an XP VMWare and a
> windows GUI
> client instead.
>
> Sadly SQLYog has no intentions of porting to Linux :-\
>
> mySQL Query Browser is for the most part useless. It's v1.1.18 and
> gives
> almost no benefit to using the CLI mode. You can't sort by clicking
> headings. They UI is awkward to use. You can't even set the font
> sizes, so
> it's HUGE (at least in my KDE it is).
>
> mySQL Workbench is "Alpha", and I couldn't even get it to connect
> to the
> localhost server (despite the other tools in that package "work")!!?
>
> phpMyAdmin is wonderful -- for a Web UI tool. But not very
> practical for
> serious development.
>
> Anything else in my search is either equally amateur or simply just an
> inactive or dead project.
>
> How is it that mySQL is effectively a Linux native tool for all
> intents and
> purposes, yet there isn't nearly the level of GUIs for it that
> there are for
> Windows?!

(Sorry Daevid, I neglected to send this to the entire list)

After searching around, I settled on AquaFold's Aqua Data Studio 6.0
(www.aquafold.com).  I've been using it since version 4.  It is a
Java app, but it is very professional and works real well.  I use it
on my MacBookPro as well as my Linux boxes.

Not cheap though.  $399 per license.  However, it is the best thing
around.  The license allows multiple installs, but you are only
allowed to run one at a time.  This is a nice convenience.  It also
supports many databases besides MySQL.  Again, expensive but worth it
in terms of productivity.

-Joe

Thread
Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Daevid Vincent15 Mar
  • Re: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Ow Mun Heng15 Mar
    • RE: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Daevid Vincent15 Mar
  • Re: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Martijn Tonies15 Mar
  • Re: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Thiago LPS15 Mar
  • RE: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Tim Lucia15 Mar
    • RE: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?ddevaudreuil15 Mar
      • RE: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Tim Lucia15 Mar
  • Re: Is there a professional quality mySQL GUI for Linux?Mailing Lists19 Mar