List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<unknown Date:April 19 1999 8:59am
Subject:my corruption problem
View as plain text
Turns out, the server that I was working on (a client's, not mine), had a
web statistics package that was the victim of a hideous patch by a
previous administrator, storing all the previous days' data in a big
interpreted Perl source file, which loaded everything into a massive hash.
I'm talking about 6 megs of source, hundreds of megs of RAM used.  In the
morning the machine crashed, and it got rebooted... hence the database
corruption.  My client for whatever reason didn't find it important to
mention that he'd been cold booting the damn server every day for the past
week.

Solution:  bye bye, stats software.

---
tani hosokawa