List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ian P. Christian Date:March 10 2007 10:24am
Subject:Re: MD5()
View as plain text
Neil Tompkins wrote:
> What do you recommend I use ?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/encryption-functions.html

That should help you.

However... keep in mind that if your application is likely to be
accessing this data all the time anyway, if someone compromises your
database, chances are they will compromise your code, leaving to them
being able to get your key, and then decrypt all your data anyway.

I'm not saying encrypting it in the database is pointless, it's just far
from enough to say your data is secure.

A quick google on the subject returned this:

http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?30,14020,14020

which honestly, I've not read - but you might want to :)

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk
Thread