List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Drew Jenkins Date:March 3 2007 9:19pm
Subject:Re: [MySQL] Re: Can't Bind to Port
View as plain text
----- Original Message ----
From: Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley@stripped>
To: mysql@stripped
Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2007 4:09:41 PM

>This indicates that you did indeed start the daemon.

>So then why are you trying to start it again?  Of course it's going
>to tell you there's a daemon already running.  You started it with the
>mysqld_safe command.

>Note, mysqld is the daemon, whereas mysql is the client.  If all
>you're trying to do it connect to the daemon, you need to run mysql, NOT
>mysqld.

Your logic is sound. So I tried a number of things that don't need repeating. Then I
thought to myself I should check out the page in the online manual that talks about
max_allowd_packet:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/packet-too-large.html
I decided after wasting so much time maybe I should read the entire page :) Turns out the
manual is poorly written in this instance. The comments at the bottom elucidated what to
do:
* log onto mysql
* enter this command:
SET GLOBAL max_allowed_packet=10000000;

Done!
Thanks all!
Drew

Have a burning question?
Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins2 Mar
  • Re: Can't Bind to PortBorokov Smith2 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins2 Mar
  • Re: Can't Bind to PortChristophe Gregoir3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
  • Re: Can't Bind to PortTommy Nordgren3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
  • Re: Can't Bind to PortTommy Nordgren3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
  • Re: Can't Bind to PortTommy Nordgren3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
  • Re: [MySQL] Re: Can't Bind to PortAshley M. Kirchner3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar
Re: [MySQL] Re: Can't Bind to PortDrew Jenkins3 Mar