List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris Boot Date:March 2 2007 10:24pm
Subject:Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?
View as plain text
Jay Pipes wrote:
>>> Other variables you may want to look at is ensuring that your
>>> table_cache (or table_open_cache if 5.1+) has enough room to deal
>>> with 600 connections * the number of average tables in a typical SQL
>>> expression executed against the server.  If this variable value is
>>> really low, you could be experiencing file descriptor swap/thrashing
>>> as so many threads are opening and then closing file descriptors
>>> rapidly.
>>
>> table_cache is set to 512, which is probably a little low for my
>> environment but it seems ok for now (opened_tables is about 3K after
>> 4 hours MySQL uptime).
>
> If you've adjusted your ulimit for file descriptors, then, sure, put
> this up soe that not as much thrashing occurs.

Let me just check before I start doing this that the rlimit is adjusted
using open_files_limit? It's currently set to 4000 and I don't think
it's ever even got near that number of open files.

I'm still scratching my head about those failed connections. I just
don't get it.

Thanks,
Chris

Thread
Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Chris Boot2 Mar
  • Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Rolando Edwards2 Mar
    • Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Rolando Edwards2 Mar
      • Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Chris Boot2 Mar
        • Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Jay Pipes2 Mar
          • Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Chris Boot2 Mar
            • Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Jay Pipes2 Mar
              • Re: Heavily-loaded MySQL: Resource temporarily unavavailable?Chris Boot2 Mar
        • Need sql optimization helpBryan Cantwell3 Mar
          • Re: Need sql optimization helpPeter Brawley3 Mar
            • RE: Need sql optimization helpBryan Cantwell3 Mar
              • Re: Need sql optimization helpMichael Dykman3 Mar
                • Re: Need sql optimization helpPeter Brawley3 Mar