List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:February 28 2007 3:53pm
Subject:Re: How to get query result...
View as plain text
>What I want is to get next result:
>Col.B | Col.A | Desription not in result query
>A | -8 | -10-(-2)
>B | -2 | -3-(-1)

You need an ordering key; otherwise order is indeterminate. Still,
comparisons based on row sequence are often easier to code in the
application. A SQL hack is possible, but it may not perform very well.
If the ordering key is a column k which, following your example, takes
the values 1,2,3,4, and if your table follows the pattern of your
example, this query yields your desired result:

SELECT
  t1.b,
  t1.a AS B,
  (SELECT t2.a FROM tbl AS t2 WHERE t2.k=(t1.k-1)) AS delta
FROM tbl AS t1
WHERE MOD(t1.k,2)=0;

If your MySQL version is pre-4.1, you could accomplish this with user
variables, but it would be messier.

PB

-----