List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris W Date:February 26 2007 8:06pm
Subject:load sharing
View as plain text
I have a potential client that is anticipating rapid growth of a web
site they want me to build.  Some quick research tells me that there is
the potential for as many as 50 million users that will access the site
for an hour or two every day.  All of those users will be located in the
USA so most of the access will be during the day..  To use the web site
you will have to have an account and log in.  At this time I can't
really say how much data will need to be stored about each user.

If this site grows as much as this client thinks, will I need to have
some kind of load sharing system to access the database?

I was reading in the MySQL manual about the NDB Cluster storage engine.
Is this something that would work well in a situation like this?  One
thing that was mentioned was the possibility of having servers in
different locations which seems to make the Cluster storage engine not a
good choice.

Can someone here give some insight and suggest other options I could
look into?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

Thread
load sharingChris W26 Feb
  • Re: load sharingChris McKeever26 Feb
    • Re: load sharingJuan Eduardo Moreno26 Feb
  • Re: load sharingDavid Griffiths26 Feb