List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:February 22 2007 3:57pm
Subject:Re: [Fwd: search issue] Duplicating contents of DB within same DB with different prefix
View as plain text
> >> Anyway of accomplishing this? Ideally without having to state each of
the
> >> tables names. And also that this would work so that you could only
> > duplicate
> >> tables that have a certain prefix, so: duplicate only tables that start
> > with
> >> "pt_" and change prefix to "es_" for example.
> >>
> >> Any help or point in the right direction will be much apreciated!
> >
> > It seems you're trying to create something multi-lingual, would that
> > be correct?
> >
> > If so, why not design proper metadata so you don't have to copy
> > tables AND modify your queries.
> >
> ---
>
> Correct this is for a multilingual website using an extremely simplified
> "CMS".
>
> The reason I am not designing proper metadata is due to the fact I am
using
> a CMS not programmed by myself, therefore I would rather not have to alter
> its inner core, also, i gathered this would probably be the simplest way
of
> accomplishing what I want without having to use a db for each language
> (which is what I am doing right now).

Well, except for having to change the metadata for each additional language.

Sounds very easy ;)

Wouldn't it be a nice start to use the script that creates these tables and
do
a search/replace on them? If you need this multiple times (for more
languages)
in the future, why not create a script that has absolutely no errors in
replacing, eg: %LANG% that will be replaced by es_ or whatever, to avoid
errors.

Martijn Tonies
(who thinks multi-language with changing metadata is not the best way to go)

Thread
Duplicating contents of DB within same DB with different prefixIstvan Hubay Cebrian22 Feb
  • Re: Duplicating contents of DB within same DB with different prefixChris McKeever22 Feb
    • Re: [Fwd: search issue] Duplicating contents of DB within same DBwith different prefixIstvan Hubay Cebrian22 Feb
  • Re: Duplicating contents of DB within same DB with different prefixMartijn Tonies22 Feb
    • Re: [Fwd: search issue] Duplicating contents of DB within same DBwith different prefixIstvan Hubay Cebrian22 Feb
  • Re: [Fwd: search issue] Duplicating contents of DB within same DB with different prefixMartijn Tonies22 Feb
    • Re: [Fwd: search issue] Duplicating contents of DB within same DBwith different prefixIstvan Hubay Cebrian22 Feb
  • Re: Duplicating contents of DB within same DB with different prefixMichael Dykman22 Feb
  • Re: [Fwd: search issue] Duplicating contents of DB within same DBwith different prefixIstvan Hubay Cebrian22 Feb