List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:April 19 1999 5:12am
Subject:Re: Looking for a GUI interface to MySQL
View as plain text
Jamie Kent wrote:

> I can quickly create SQL databases with a program like Microsoft SQL but
> I now need a way to create and maintain databases using MySQL on a
> Sun/UNIX platform.  Is there a "way" or application that I can use to
> develope my databases on my PC using a Microsoft SQL "like" environment.
> And then a "way" to load my database and all it's associated files on to
> a UNIX platform.
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie Kent
> email:jamie@stripped

Jamie:

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation:

First install Linux on your PC :) which will come with a set of awesome
( although not Microsoft-like) tools  such as vi, perl, awk, sed, C
compiler, bash to name a few that could do almost any job in a lot of
instances much faster than point-and-click interface if you have the
necessary skills .

Second, learn to use these tools.

Disadvantages of this approach: takes time and patience.

Advantages: increases your productivity on any Unix machine, increases
your self-confidence, and often increases your earning potential.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com