List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:boll Date:February 4 2007 4:36pm
Subject:select on multiple fields in several tables?
View as plain text
Hello-

I'm working with an unfamiliar application, trying to figure out where
my data is going.

Is it possible to form a query to select from all the columns in several
tables at once? Something equivalent to:
    SELECT FROM * WHERE * = 'john smith';
If that's not possible I'd still like to be able to search each table at
once without specifying the column names:
    SELECT FROM <table name>  WHERE * = 'john smith';
If that can't be done, can a sub query find the column names to be
selected on?

Basically, I'm trying to avoid doing separate selects on each column in
each table.

This is using MySQL 5.0.27 .
Thanks for any suggestion or alternative methods!

-John
Thread
select on multiple fields in several tables?boll4 Feb
  • Re: select on multiple fields in several tables?Ryan Stille4 Feb
    • Re: select on multiple fields in several tables?boll4 Feb
  • Re: select on multiple fields in several tables?ViSolve DB Team5 Feb
  • Re: select on multiple fields in several tables?Brent Baisley5 Feb