List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mizioumt Date:January 19 2007 4:28pm
Subject:Re: [OT} How to pronounce GIF
View as plain text
Hi,

gif will inevitably gravitate towards jif for the same reason SQL is
sequel and lib, as in /usr/lib, is often 'libe'. The reasons
are described in the Appendix to Orwell's 1984 which is dedicated to
newspeak, look for 'duckspeak' in particular,
and the consideration of 'Minitruethful' vs 'Minitrueful'. In other
words the pronunciation will be such that
chances of the other party to actually think about its meaning be as
little as possible. This is very good
in a job interview situation (I have no idea what TCP/IP means but I
desperately need this job...) or
in IT salesman pitches which most of the time amount to 'give us your
money in exchange for a lot of frustration
trying to use our product' but you're far more likely to hear words
like Java, Internet or even whole nice
sounding expressions like 'closing the digital gap' or 'business
intelligence' or 'globalization'.
Giraffe, on the other hand, could be pronounced in every which way
possible unless uttering it
can gain you an advantage, I guess if you are biologists discussing
giraffe breeding.

Thanks,
Michael