List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Braswell Date:January 12 2007 8:09pm
Subject:Re: [OT} How to pronounce GIF
View as plain text
In an effort to quell this off-topic and rather pointless dialog, allow
me to refer you to the Wikipedia article on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF

Specifically the section:

"According to the creator of the "GIF" format, Steve Wilhite, the
pronunciation is with a soft "g" and the acronym is pronounced like the
peanut butter brand, Jif. To fellow employees of CompuServe he would
often say "Choosy developers choose GIF", spinning off of the
historically popular peanut butter commercial. This pronunciation was
also identified by CompuServe in their documentation of a graphics
display program called CompuShow. "

"GIF" is not a word, it's an acronym, therefore "precedent in English"
has no bearing.

Eric

John Trammell wrote:
> Way offoptic now....
>
> How do you pronounce "gift"?  :^)
>
> $ egrep '^gif' /usr/share/dict/words
> gift
> gift's
> gifted
> gifting
> gifts
>
> To heck with the spec, all precedent in English says hard G.
>
> Next they'll tell us to pronounce "jpeg" as "gay-peg".

Thread
How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDBjs 7 Jan
  • Re: How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDBMichael Stearne7 Jan
  • Re: How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDBJan Pieter Kunst7 Jan
    • Re: How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDBPhilip Mather8 Jan
  • Re: How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDBChris White8 Jan
Re: How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDBBrian Dunning7 Jan
  • [OT} How to pronounce GIF (was: Re: How to pronounce MyISAMand InnoDB)TK8 Jan
    • Re: [OT} How to pronounce GIF (was: Re: How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDB)Brian Dunning12 Jan
      • RE: [OT} How to pronounce GIF (was: Re: How to pronounce MyISAM and InnoDB)Jerry Schwartz12 Jan
      • Re: [OT} How to pronounce GIFGerald L. Clark12 Jan
        • Re: [OT} How to pronounce GIFmizioumt19 Jan
RE: [OT} How to pronounce GIFJohn Trammell12 Jan
  • Selecting records based on max and valueDavid Ruggles12 Jan
    • Re: Selecting records based on max and valuePeter Brawley12 Jan
      • RE: Selecting records based on max and valueDavid Ruggles12 Jan
    • Re: Selecting records based on max and valueShawn Green13 Jan
  • Re: [OT} How to pronounce GIFEric Braswell12 Jan