List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Luca Ferrari Date:January 2 2007 4:17pm
Subject:Re: sequences and auto_increment
View as plain text
On Tuesday 02 January 2007 16:51 Brent Baisley's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:

> CREATE TABLE competenza (
> competenza varchar(30) NOT NULL default 'comp-06-',
> id_competenza int unsigned not null auto_increment,
> descrizione varchar(100),
> PRIMARY KEY (competenza, id_competenza)
> )
>
> Since your PRIMARY KEY is a combination of 2 fields (competenza +
> id_competenza ), each competenza value will have it's own auto increment
> (id_competenza ) sequence. So id_competenza  won't be unique, but the
> combination of competenza + id_competenza will be.

Thanks for your suggestion, but this would make my queries more complex, since
to get the id of a skill (italian is competenza) will require querying two
fields.
It's true that I can simulate sequences with a table with auto_increment, but
this means I need to insert a record before in such table to get the new id
and then insert in my competenza table. This would require a transaction and
will result even more complex than the above, I guess.

Any other idea?
Thanks,
Luca
Thread
sequences and auto_incrementLuca Ferrari2 Jan
  • Re: sequences and auto_incrementMartijn Tonies2 Jan
  • Re: sequences and auto_incrementBrent Baisley2 Jan
    • Re: sequences and auto_incrementLuca Ferrari2 Jan
      • Re: sequences and auto_incrementKen Brown2 Jan
  • Re: sequences and auto_incrementMartijn Tonies2 Jan