List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jacques Marneweck Date:December 1 2006 12:12pm
Subject:Re: mysql_pconnect() made things worse
View as plain text
Brian Dunning wrote:
> I have many sites accessing one MySQL server, all using the same IP,
> username, password via a PHP $connection =
> mysql_connect($ip,$user,$pass);.
>
> The server is extremely busy, hammered 24x7, but almost all traffic is
> coming from one very short script. About once a day we're getting "No
> database selected" with that one table "busy" and the only way out is
> mysqladmin flush-hosts.
>
> In that one busy script, I replaced mysql_connect() with
> mysql_pconnect() according to some advice I received, and the server
> immediately went back to "No database selected" and all hung up.
>
> Everything I read seemed to indicate that what I did should have made
> things better, not worse. Can someone suggest what my next steps
> should be?
Check your max_connections setting which shows how many connections your
server will allow at any time:

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%connections%';

And checking status:

SHOW STATUS LIKE '%connections%';

Will tell you how many connections you've used simultaneously.

Regards
--jm

--
Jacques Marneweck
http://www.powertrip.co.za/

#include <std/disclaimer.h>

Thread
mysql_pconnect() made things worseBrian Dunning1 Dec
  • Re: mysql_pconnect() made things worseJacques Marneweck1 Dec