List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Sy Date:November 28 2006 7:11am
Subject:Should I use an index in this case?
View as plain text
I have a table that is roughly like the below:

id       - PK, autoincremented integer
name     - varchar
visit    - timestamp
action   - char(10)

Now, 'action', while a char(10), is only ever intended
to contain two possible values,  "purchase" and
"preview".

The table might end up containing tens or even
hundrds of thousands of rows and a report will
eventually be generated that differentiates
between "purchases" and "previews".

Should I still create an index on the 'action' column
and of how much benefit will it be ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thread
Should I use an index in this case?Andy Sy28 Nov
  • Re: Should I use an index in this case?Yonghua.Wu28 Nov
    • Index effectivity for a 2-valued field (was Re: Should I use an indexin this case?)Andy Sy28 Nov
      • RE: Index effectivity for a 2-valued field (was Re: Should I use an index in this case?)Jerry Schwartz28 Nov
    • Re: Index effectivity for a 2-valued field (was Re: Should I use an index in this case?)Martijn Tonies28 Nov