List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Asif Lodhi Date:November 19 2006 9:26pm
Subject:Re: float numbers
View as plain text
Hi Ahmad,

On 11/18/06, Ahmad Al-Twaijiry <ahmadt@stripped> wrote:
> I have many tables that use float (in production database), if I
> convert all of the float column to DOUBLE or DECIMAL (using alter ),
> is there any impact or anything I should know that could happen to me
> ?

You'll get a slight slow-down in performance - a trade-off you will
make if you choose DECIMAL instead of FLOAT.  Even if you choose
DOUBLE, there is a risk of rounding errors.  Try converting/casting
the integer '1234567890' to float/double and assign the resulting
float to an integer variable - then see what difference it makes.
With DECIMAL you get accurate monetary calculations but slightly
slower speed.

--
Asif
Thread