List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Buehler Date:November 13 2006 3:45pm
Subject:quote for job
View as plain text
	I have a client that is looking for a setup and was hoping that
somebody here could give me a quote for the job.  I can't give ALL of
the details, but I am hoping that this will be enough to get a
quote.  I am not looking for a hardware quote.  Just one for setting
this up software wise.

20 MySQL database servers.  10 at primary site and 10 at secondary
site.  Sites have not been choosen yet and can change in the future
and might have more sites used for secondary etc. sites.

The 10 at the other site need to mirror the 10 from the primary
site.  They are on a 1 to 1 ratio for the mirroring.  So if one of
the servers goes down, the one at the secondary site will take
over.  If that happens, then the one at the secondary site will be
written to by the frontend program and when the primary sites server
comes back up, it will need to take back over with any changes that
where made to the secondary server.

I understand that Microsoft has a setup where the frontend servers
talk to a "middleman" server and the middleman server than directs
the frontend server to the backend database server.  Something like
that anyway.

There will be a LOT of frontend servers, but that is probably not
going to be an issue at this point.  We are mainly concerned with the
backend database servers and connectivity to them.  IF things work
out, there could be as many as 100+ database servers and 100+
frontend servers within a couple of years.  The kind of quotes that I
need would be:

1.  quote to set it all up when we buy the hardware and choose the
data centers.
2.  quote to have you and/or your company on call to maintain the servers.

If you have any specific questions, you can either email me the
questions or if you wish, you can email me your phone numbers and I
will call you.  If it goes the way they want, we will have to have
all servers, frontend, middleman and backend setup within about 6
weeks if possible.

Thanks
Steve

Thread