List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Benjamin Pflugmann Date:April 18 1999 8:07pm
Subject:Re: Syntax
View as plain text
Hi.

I assume you want to do

mysql -u root -pxxxxxxx
(note that there is _no_ space between -p and the password)

This is a requirement made by the function which parses the command
line (since the password value to -p is optional and there is no way
of knowing if you wanted to give a database name or a password, if
there is a space in between).

This is explained somewhere in the Manual, I guess (since I know it :-),
but I don't have access to it atm, so I cannot search the section.

Bye,

	Benjamin.

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 01:10:11AM -0500, perl@stripped wrote:
> Release:       mysql-3.22.21 (Source distribution)
> System: Linux torch.BLUEZnet.com 2.0.36 #3 Fri Nov 27 05:24:23 CST 1998
> i586 unknown
> Perl: This is perl, version 5.004_04 built for i386-linux
> -------
>
> Can anyone give me the correct syntax for me to use
> mysqladmin, mysqldump, using the user 'root'? I have a password set for
> root, i have no problems with: mysql -u root -p
> password: xxxxxxxx
>
> If this is on the http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_*
> will you kindly give the correct URL please. I have looked, i may have
> missed it.
> Excuse the lame question.
>                                            \\|//
> Darrell Shifflett          |                (_)               |
> Self Proposed              |   Sometimes the simplest things  |
> Linux Freak & PERL Lover   |    in life are often the best    |
>                            |                  - Diethyl       |
> bluez@stripped         |___________oooO_____Oooo__________|
> http://www.BLUEZnet.com                (  )/    ( ,)

SyntaxDarrell Shifflett18 Apr