List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daevid Vincent Date:November 10 2006 10:30pm
Subject:InnoDB does not preserve AUTO_INCREMENT -- WTF!?
View as plain text
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-auto-increment-column.html

We have recently switched several database tables from MYISM to INNODB, only
to find out this colossal design flaw in InnoDB tables.

We ship out mySQL on our appliances in enterprise level scenarios. We often
like to start the AUTO_INCREMENT for several tables at 10,000 -- this way we
can reserve the lower 'block' of IDs for our own internal and 'default' use
so all customers have the same basic database schema. It also makes our code
easier to write as we can, in one easy swoop, make the ID's of any record <
10000 immutable, uneditable, etc.

Are there plans to fix what we perceive to be a tremendous bug? Why would
you make it so that the AUTO_INCREMENT value is stored in memory only?! What
use is that? I would have preferred if AUTO_INCREMENT threw an error on
InnoDB tables, this way we would have known this months ago instead of now
that we're well into this porting of tables, schema and now code.

This is such a subtle but significant change to the table-type that it
should have been made painfully obvious to anyone trying to switch types.
You are costing us many man-hours now of re-architecting existing code, and
trying to figure out a way to upgrade existing customers.

...And yes, we *DO* pay you your $10,000 support contract.

*sigh*

This is very disappointing.

Thread
InnoDB does not preserve AUTO_INCREMENT -- WTF!?Daevid Vincent10 Nov
Re: InnoDB does not preserve AUTO_INCREMENT -- WTF!?Ryan Stille10 Nov
  • Re: InnoDB does not preserve AUTO_INCREMENT -- WTF!?David Griffiths11 Nov
Re: InnoDB does not preserve AUTO_INCREMENT -- WTF!?Miles Teg13 Nov
  • A little sort/group by help pleaseT.J. Mahaffey1 Dec