List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Buettner Date:October 27 2006 12:51pm
Subject:Re: Re: Order to run ANALYZE, OPTIMIZE and CHECK
View as plain text
I run CHECK commands against all tables nightly.  Our dataset is
small, so it's quick & easy; for large and/or static datasets daily
might be impractical.  However, if you don't run CHECK regularly, you
don't know your data is good, and it's possible you might have
corruption for a long time before it's caught.  That could mean
corrupted backups, and if it goes on long enough, you might not have
any good backups at all.

I strongly recommend running CHECKs as often as practical.  It's not
just contributing to your peace of mind, it's verifying that your
database is performing properly.

Dan