List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Cornelia Menzel Date:October 16 2006 10:56am
Subject:How to get into mysql command line?
View as plain text
Hello!

I have installed MySQL 4.1.21 on my iBook which is running Mac OS X
(Tiger 10.4.8). I have installed MySQL without any problems, I
activated PHP and CGI-Scripts in httpd.conf and erverything was fine.
With 'mysql' I have been able to log in to the mysql command line.

Unfortunately, I thought it would be better to remove the user
account with no username and set a password to root. I removed the
user account with no username and everything was fine. Then I tried
to set a password for root, following the manual:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/default-privileges.html

shell> mysql -u root
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('MY_PASSWORD');
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'cornelia-menzels-ibook-g4.local' =
PASSWORD('MY_PASSWORD');

Unfortunately, I've got a message, that '0 rows were affected ...'. I
was surprised and tried it with 'mysqladmin':

shell> mysqladmin -u root password "MY_PASSWORD"
shell> mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password "MY_PASSWORD"

Since then I have not been able to log in to the mysql command line.
I tried to reset the root password following the manual, but no success:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/resetting-permissions.html

The error message I receive is the following:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)

Is there somebody who can help me with this? I tried dot remove the
mysql installation. In terminal I removed the /usr/local/mysql
directory, but when I reinstall, I encounter the same problems. If
there is somebody who has a hint how to remove the mysql install
completely, that would be usefull to be able to install mysql again
and leave it without password insecure. But at least the installation
would collaborate.

With Linux it was pretty easy setting up a local test server, but
with Mac OS X I was not succesfull till now. Unbelievable.

Kind regards,
Cornelia

Cornelia Menzel

Spanien / España / Spain

e-Mail: cornelia.menzel@stripped
http://www.corneliamenzel.com

Thread
How to get into mysql command line?Cornelia Menzel16 Oct
  • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Dominik Klein16 Oct
    • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Cornelia Menzel16 Oct
      • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Dominik Klein16 Oct
        • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Cornelia Menzel16 Oct
          • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Anders Karlsson16 Oct
            • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Cornelia Menzel16 Oct
              • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Anders Karlsson16 Oct
                • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Cornelia Menzel16 Oct
                  • Re: How to get into mysql command line?Asif Lodhi19 Oct